Contributors

Friday, June 3, 2011

Ten Things to Do After Graduating College

I've had a hard time thinking of new things to write about, so I've decided to reflect on my first few weeks of post-graduation life and give a few recommendations on how to become an out-of-college, out-of-work, single 22 year-old who seems destined to move back in to his old high school bedroom. Trust me, it's much cooler than it sounds.

1. Stay in Shape
   While I've never been the face of men's health, endless amounts of pickup basketball has allowed my body to stay in a form that looks relatively human.   Now that pickup games in The Woodlands are seemingly non-existent and I'm not allowed in the Texas A&M rec center post-graduation, I've had to improvise.  (I have officially retired the USA Starburys.  My new bball shoes--another patriotic pair of  red, white, and blue Nikes, have sat in the backseat of my car unused for about a month).  I don't think I'll ever turn into the ultrarunner than Christopher McDougall's book Born to Run inspires me to be, but a little bit of running every day has allowed me to keep my sanity, not to mention prevent me from looking like Tommy Boy.  Plus, one of the best things about the town is the scenery, which I'll take over treadmilling every time.

2. Pick Up a New Show
   While I continue to look for a job, I've had some free time to start up the show Chuck.  Contrary to my friend Janisch's minority belief, this show is absolutely in the top three hour-long shows currently airing (along with Justified and Dexter).  Now, when I say I've had some free time, I should admit that I watched the first three seasons in two weeks.  (But it should be noted that my roommates and I actually started this show during finals week.  What can I say...my finals didn't really count towards my final grade so I kinda stopped caring.  BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT MEN DO.)

3. Reconnect with High School Friends
   It's inevitable to come back to my hometown during holidays and summers without running into a myriad of people that went to my high school.  I used to dread going to bars here because I figured there was a reason why I didn't stay in touch with them over the years.  That being said, I have reconnected with some old high school friends in the past few weeks where it feels like we have barely parted from the halls of College Park High.  After going through separate but similar experiences in the past four years, it's refreshing to catch up with old acquaintances and hear about their successes.  (One thing I'd recommend: if you are going to talk to someone, at least feign interest in them.  Recently I had someone whom I've kept in relatively decent touch with over the years, someone whom I've even seen multiple times in the past six months, literally ask me why I was wearing a class ring and what college I graduated from.  Now I know I've been to a few schools...but seriously?  Very cool.  Needless to say, I don't think she's one of the six people reading this blog.)

4. Groom Yourself
   Gone are the days where I could grow facial hair for fun (unless I fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming Ernest Hemingway...minus the alcoholism).  Even long hair doesn't feel as cool as it once did and I'm considering buzzing my head just like the old days.  (Somewhere my sister is ecstatic.)

5. Become a Vagabond
    Between my duplex in College Station and my parent's place in The Woodlands, I have no permanent home right now.  I feel like a drifter from an old western, sliding from town to town with no end in sight.  I am not a big fan of making plans...or as my friend Cale recently put it last week, "My summer plans end tomorrow morning when I return my Uhaul."  Minus the job hunt, I'm right there with him.

6. Get a Record Player
    My dad is a music aficionado.  He grew up listening to some of the greatest music of all-time: The Beatles, The Grass Roots, Three Dog Night, Wilson Pickett, Gladys Knight, The Doors, The Turtles, etc.  I recently found his old vinyl records and was immediately transported back to 60s and 70s.  Over 300 albums, you name it, he had it.  After finding his record player, I spend most of my free time (I've caught up with Chuck, after all) listening to the old records in my room while wearing a v-neck and red Toms-knockoff shoes.  You don't have to tell me...I am so cool and don't look like a tool at all!  (Speaking of the shoes, my friend Alya recently said "You know what they say about red shoes: only children and prostitutes wear them."  Well, I graduated college....so I'm not a child.

7. Catch Up on Reading
   As an English major, I have been forced to read some mundane books over the years against my will.  No I would not like to read a tenth consecutive book about racial inequality.  Yes, I realize it is a very important topic and that white people are the devil, but reading literally nothing but books of that genre eventually takes its toll on a person.  Now that I am done with college, I am free to read all the Animorph and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books that I want.  (Kidding...I just said I wasn't a child.)

8. Sneak into Movies
   Just because I am supposed to be a grown up, keeping myself well-kempt and well-dressed, doesn't mean that the audacious movie prices in The Woodlands are okay.  Over $10 for a Friday night movie ticket?  Would you like my firstborn child as well?  If you're making me pay $7 for a matinee to see the awful movie Priest, you better believe my friends and I are going to sneak into a few other movies, 7th grade-style.  Tip: Be confident... act like you know what you're doing and no one will ask questions.  (Yes, I just gave a tip on how to sneak into a movie theater...this is happening...)

9. Come Up With a New Catch-Phrase
   Sadly, I can't take full credit for this.  Janisch and I were hanging by the pool one day and we came up with a slightly uncreative but effective catch phrase: "slide."  You can use it at any point in any conversation.  Examples: 1) Hey what time do you want me to slide over? 2) I can slide with that. 3) We're just sliding right now. (If you can't tell, I'm slowly sliding into insanity.)

10. Plan a Cross Country Road Trip
   It's in the early stages, but it's gonnnnna happen. 

I hope everyone's summers are off to a good start.  Good luck as you may be beginning the next stage of your life.  And thank you for spending a few minutes inside my frenzied mind.

-PB

1 comment:

  1. Don't you know how they treat drifters in towns like these? (see first 40 minutes of 'First Blood')

    ReplyDelete